About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Sunday 25 March 2012

A SUNNY SUNDAY.

  This being Sunday, I thought I would take you to a church with me to share some of the photo's I took just four days ago in Burwell. I had actually gone for a Docs appointment but after that, had time to spare, so explored a little round this fascinating place with heaps of history attached to it. Had the mad mutt with me so took him along a local footpath to give him some exercise and see some of the countryside. We found the site of an old roman villa and a the grass covered curves of a castle moat, part of which was watery so Ffin went paddling. Then, we explored St Mary's Church, a beautiful 15th century building built by the builders of who erected Kings College Chapel, Cambridge
and surrounded as you can see, by a lovely peaceful graveyard. One of the things I love about it is that unlike so many churchyards today, real plants are allowed to be planted in the graves and surrounding them. In the spring sunshine the whole place was a haven of peace, but as always one notices sad inscriptions on the reverse of some of the stones ... 

Reading up in a book on local history, this story is sad not only due to the fact that it was during a puppet show, but that the number of people who died included the pupeteer, his wife & daughter. The wrong man was blamed and it wasn't until over 40 years later, a man on his death bed made a confession to relatives that it was he, who as a young man with a grudge against the ostler, had set fire to the barn, not realising that the barn door was locked at the time. What a sad tale.
Then there was this intriguing, inscription-less, sad little humanoid, moss overgrown figure on top of a boxed stonegrave. Another loss of a loved one. >>>
But as I wandered nearer to the main street, a sign caught my eye, needless to say I had to go and have a chat to the butcher and ended up buying local lamb, cured bacon, & sausages very tasty! But one final intrigue awaited me as I headed to the local Post Office ... now ... how did a small alleyway get that name? I've asked around but as yet no answers, it leads towards the church, which makes one wonder just how the name came to be permanently remembered? The mind boggles at that one!
Anyway back to my real Sunday when In the summery spring sunshine I was pruning the apple trees in the orchard and have an apple-wood walking stick now curing!

No comments:

Post a Comment