About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Wednesday 14 March 2012

A PILL BOX

  The mad mutt and I went for a pre-sunset stroll along the river, which was slightly chilly but lovely, fresh air for me and clean water for the dafft, stick chasing,  diving dog, who now smells clean. His coat is gleaming and smells wonderfully  sweet after his fen water bath ... blessims!
As for me, my wellies just got muddier as I sploshed through water soggy grasses, trying to take photographs of things that unexpectedly came into view like this wartime pillbox.
Approximately 28.000 of these were built in 1940 ... of which there are about 6.500 still surviving in U.K today, quite amazing!
The odd name comes from their similarity in construction to hexagonal or cylindrical boxes which medicines were sold in, this one was square! But just imagine the view down the fen, you are on duty, all kitted up with your uniform and out out of one of the slots in the wall all you can see is this ...
Unless you are a bird watcher, I guess it must have been fairly boring in the daytime, let alone on night duty, stuck in the outreaches of nowhere for hours on end ... yawn!!!
And, I'm sorry folks, that's what I'm doing right now ... yawning so I will share more with you another day but ... tonight the sunset was just  wonderful and I took so many photo's.

Unfortunately some rather startled geese set the ripples going for this one ...  the stretch of dyke beyond, the pumping station. Built in 1945 and still working to change the water levels where dyke crosses the River Cam. Amazing!
Ah ... but now for getting late back to the car and sunsets moments
this one ... as seen through the teasels, seeded heads
which were once used for carding sheep's wool , a tedious process before mechanisation

No comments:

Post a Comment