About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

CHEEKY CHOOKS

 Today started sunny with lovely blue skies and westerly, bitter winds with frost and ice on the moor, as I found out when I braved the day on the outside. No snow yet though!
I'm tasked with babysitting for somebody else. Strange that the children are away ... it's not them that I am caring for ... it's their chickens  .... 

Well it sure makes a change for you out there who are used to me photographing sheep!
We also have two rabbits to care for as well as thirteen poultry pets who didn't want to pose for my camera, despite many attempts ... 
They were all to willing to be fed, but as soon as I got the camera out, they went unusually wary. 

This one was definitely trying to escape from the photo shoot opportunity. A truly speckledy hen who was  just camera shy. In the biting wind I was getting cold and just wanted to head home. I had fed them generously, all I wanted was something to blog about today ...
I persevered, despite having numb fingers, then my favourite hen obliged. Normally a shy soul, she was intrigued by my low to the ground presence, the girls named her Earrings.  
And you can see why. She's  a bit of an outsider from the rest of the flock, but she's a sweetie and one of my favourites. She's inquisitive and compared to the others very delicate and lady like.
Meanwhile ... I tried to capture the head honcho  in all his glory. He's normally the  first to approach, wanting to be first in the food feeding order, not today!
Well actually, he was so interested in feeding that  he didn't pose as he normally does.
In the meantime, Dafad will be ambling about as usual, taking note of things and hoping to  bring to the readers of this blog something a little different.
By the way, I know it's moulting season, but all I got paid today, was one fresh warm egg! Mustn't grumble

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dafad - Hens! Nice bottoms!I agree tho' they really can be a pain to photograph. Pleased to hear you've not got any of the white stuff yet. Rain here tonight so daylight might just dawn green, or rain may turn to snow - who knows? - something to look forward to. Keep Warm, Shep

    ReplyDelete