About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Monday 12 December 2011

MORNING MOMENTS.


  Well I can't complain about this morning. This afternoon and the days ahead, well that's a different matter as the northerlies and westerlies bring in much wetness until ... Saturday!!
I would just love to unselfishly send it to the drought suffering, arable farming east of U.K
Meanwhile, as the say  "Carpe diem" seize the day, so we did and went scenic tree hunting.
It's an easy walk, not far from where I park. This particular farmers outlying fields are sectioned off by beech trees and some of my favourite photographs over the years have been taken here. It is said that a beech tree can live 300 years, the oldest in U.K is said to be 320 years old.I would love to know how old some of these trees are.
The fields here, stand out emerald green against the now pale winter colouration of the commons and amongst his Welsh White, he has several Welsh Black, which as always stand out in a crowd. Or as in this case ...
<<<
just stand alone, grazing peacefully away in this mid December sunlight. It really was a lovely sunny morning, despite the hand chilling wind that made using my camera a wee bitty cold but it was worth it.
I took far too many photographs to share with you here and it has been difficult to choose which ones to use for today.

I visited this lovely old hawthorn, which to my amazement had been stripped clean of its ruby red berries. I guess the birds around here are really fattening up in preparation for winter to hit us really hard. It does stand alone, so probably gets more attention than areas where the haws are in abundance. The other day I watched as another hawthorn was dramatically busy with chaffinches, bullfinches, a wren and two blackbirds. 
The whole tree was just aflutter with activity. Not this one though. All berries have been eaten by hungry, winter preparing birds.                                              >>>

I stopped for a rest out of the worst of the wind as the dog snuffled in the deep drifts  of beech, which reminded me of something I've missed this year ... the crisp sound of scrunchy leaves rather than the soggy ones we seem to have had since the fall began. These were wind dried, crispy and tobacco scented ... lovely!
All around me the skies were blazing blue with cotton white clouds, only the bitter wind gave the game away. Be grateful out there that you can't feel as cold as I did whilst sat here.
Overhead the skeletal tracery of branch and twig ... 
Now ... is that a funny shaped "H" or is it a rather odd pair of dangly legs? Mebbe you see something different, I've not quite made my mind up yet. Anyways ... as the weather worsens, at least I know my charges are safe. I counted them all out and all back in to roost and hutch. I had two fresh laid eggs today, had a lovely omelette for lunch, so feel as if I have been well repaid for all my now drying clothes.
Time methinks to have a long hot soak and relax (with coldy old sniffles and an aching body) for the rest of the day.


I shall leave you with my favourite photograph taken just this morning ...
Where ever you are in the world, my wishes are that you're safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment