About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Sunday 20 November 2011

WEB SIGHTS & PAST WINTERS

The weather forecast this morning, was not for mist (hooray!) It stated, Fog ... (boo-hiss).
Very little to be seen as we splodged across the murky moors, wellies squelching ... but ...
everywhere in the rushes and the grass, were wonderful water-drop decorated cobwebs.
They are not the easiest things to photograph, especially in the fog-dim lack of light, but I tried. Returning home and uploading a stream of mostly useless photo's onto the computer screen ... repeat delete!! This ... being done with a very fat bluebottle flying around me  "It's November! Buzz off!" I have also had hovering fruit flies interested in the kitchen compost bin ??  One could almost welcome the colder weather to get rid of these pests.
A man I met today, a regular walker in the area, stopped me and wanted to walk me back along the track to point out a profusion of daisies. He's lived here all his life and his very words to me were "Never seen the like !" At least I am not alone in my thoughts about these out of season happenings that I have mentioned so often in  my recent posts.
Sorry folks, but the only photo-worthy things this morning were the numerous cobwebs.
Some like the above, seemed like ghostly images in amongst the rushes, an odd viewpoint but then I found this one and having cropped the photo, the image became clearer ...
but even stranger still was a further focus on the centre and to my amazement I saw in that one central tear drop ... a reflection of me taking the photograph ...
Look carefully one can only just see the dark image in the middle of the large drop ...
But there were other even tinier spiders that had been web creating in their thousands, possibly even millions, all across the vast expanse of moorland.
But my favourite of the morning was some sheep's wool that had been over-spun by a single spider I had to look closely to see the difference between web and wool. 
This small cameo was just heavily bejewelled with the nights dew ...
Well, that was the poor sum of the mornings many efforts so I stopped off at my usual Sunday watering hole, my local pub, for a mug of tea. Yes ... you read that correctly. It's  a wonderful place to catch up with the local latest. What I call a "spit and sawdust pub" but without either. It is an old fashioned sort of a place, no red velvet valour, no juke box, just farmers and locals having a pint with a wonderfully scented wood burning stove. Known locally as "The Old Church" this is were we gather on Sundays. Folk bring their dogs, conversation flows about many subjects from local happenings to world wide news and so many other things are discussed. In years gone by, miners would come straight from the pit with eyes shining bright from coal blackened faces to quaff a pint or more and then tread buoyantly homewards. Some now ex colliers no longer work in any mines but their memories are still there and even today we discussed what it was like to work in the pits and I found out that Tirpentwys Colliery, was the only place in the world ... to have a double wheel winding gear! As one of the younger generation remarked just recently "Wow!  It's an education in local history." I for one, learn so much by just by sitting and listening to their conversation. It's as interesting as visiting a museum for information.
Out came the camera to capture a just drained glass of a local brewery's, regularly drunk ales ... An almost empty glass of Hobby Horse amongst other specialities that this brewery  provides.
And that is all for today. Cheers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment