About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Wednesday 23 November 2011

THANKS GIVING DAY.


 When I started this mini adventure, it came about by accident really. I had only wanted to post a comment on another blog and to do that I had to sign up for an account, which I did, then I was given the option "Create a Blog". Intrigued as to how all this this worked I made a mug of tea, had a deep think about what to call it and continued on to create Dafad's Days. 
  That was a mere month ago and I had to start by navigating my way through all sorts of jargon, choosing a design, how to set up the layout as I wanted it etc, etc. and so a toddler blogger, started taking the first wary footsteps into a new and slightly scary world.
  I hadn't really intended it to do a post a day. Initially it was just a platform from which to share a few of my meandering thoughts and photographs with friends rather than sending lots of emails all over the place, so ... "All in one space" it seemed an ideal solution.
  And so my journey began tentatively, with much muttering about lacking computer skills, (I still don't understand half the jargon). But by a process of trial and many errors ... such as managing to completely delete a whole post just as I was trying to do a final edit , to create a better effect. I'm slowly getting there and learning all sorts of new things as I do. At one point, to my baffled amazement, the whole layout of the way this blog  was arranged, had changed ?? Even more mad mutterings of the confused little brain!!
  For all you well established blog buffs out there who are possibly smiling, to me it reminds me of learning to ride a bike with stabilisers on. Then having them taken off, only to find the wobble factor increasing, but instead of bruised knees, It seems I've now got blogitis! I hope it's not a serious ailment for which there is no restorative cure, though a "wee dram" and a hot bath eases the aching body and brain at the end of the day.
  The other thing that's made a big difference to the quality was a generous present from Dad of a compact digital camera. More new technology to get used to but I've enjoyed learning what wonderful things this pocket sized companion on my small outings can do.
Yesterday, I used it to capture this very late flowering Fuscia. Wow what bright colours!
  To my utter amazement, it seems from the page view count that old Dafad here already has quite a few interested readers, who click the little boxes at the end to indicate what they think about "Wot I've writ" having browsed through the entries. Some from as far away as The States, Canada and even regular viewers from Russia. It's very uplifting.
  Now ... this has changed my life slightly, because as I'm slowly pottering out and about getting muddy and wet with the other half, I think differently. I still get great pleasure witnessing the changes in nature, I still notice something new every day, but now I am thinking of what to share and how to write about it when we get home safe and sound. Then there's the challenge of digiting, reviewing, editing to make it look tidy on the screen.
  It has been a warming thought over these last wet and misty weeks to know that there are folk out there who like checking out the latest wafflings of  this meandering old soul. 
It has encouraged me to continue in ways I never possibly imagined I would do when I started this initially tiny, tentative adventure into the wide world of the web space.
This silver fleeced old sheep is learning new things,
 and I am enjoying the challenges too.
SO A WARM THANK YOU TO YOU ALL.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Dafad - you keep up the good work. Fuschias in flower - they're up here in Northumberland too!!
    I think I've cracked this commenting thing, fail to comment on google account but am attempting being 'anonymous' now, hopefully that'll work! May eventually work out why the google account wont allow but as you so rightly say there is an awful lot of jargon and gobbledy gook when it comes to these computers and internet stuff.

    I find it fascinating that you go around wondering what to share and how to write about it - it must be catching! My brain works along the same lines Blogitis alright hope it's not too painful an affliction!
    Fingers crossed this comment might get posted. Shep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just seen this, my first comment. Ace!
    Thanks Shep.
    Finally found allowed comments section and altered it, takes a while to get used all this set up stuff! It's a shame you're anon-e-mouse?
    Don't know if you listen to Farming Today Radio 4 but our U.K collies are still top dogs abroad. Good to know that despite the economy we still have some export potential.
    Take care up there.

    ReplyDelete