About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Sunday 13 November 2011

ONE SPECIAL TREE

 Today, a short walk for the mutt to have some mad moments in the large ale-dark puddles and for me to gently  stretch all my aching joints in the warmth of the late morning sun.
 I went to visit one of my all time favourite beech trees. I think of it as a she, the matriarch of the group that stand looking across the vast expanses of the commons moorland  and the old, closed pit sites in the valley beneath. These must have witnessed a lot of changes.
On a fine day one can see across the Severn Estuary, to England and can sometimes just catch glimpses of the sea through dips in the horizon when the sun highlights the water.
  I've named it "Blewit Beech" because, when conditions are right an edible mushroom called a Blewit grows in the grass around there. It's been a sparse year so far due to all that wet stuff falling from the sky, but I thought maybe the ground might be dried out enough but first I had to say hello. She's the kind of beech creature that could easily turn one into a tree hugger ... what do you mean you already think I am? 
 
Well O.K,  I will admit to sitting on her broad back, taking time out to look at the view
                                   
Between this group of trees, is where one can find these rather lovely blewits, they are pale amethyst when young, darkening as they grow. And today to my delight, I found my first of the year here, just pushing up through the the still dew-damp grasses ...
If this weather stays warm and dry for a few more days, there will be many more to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment