About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Saturday 9 June 2012

WEATHER PERMITTING

After three days of getting drenched and soggy we have been lucky up here unlike more devastated areas in the very wet west of Wales. Today started sunny, bright and dry! I knew as soon as I awoke that things were different ... the jackdaws were raucous and next doors resident sparrows were chip-chipping away like crazy. When I eventually got myself sorted to go and see to my charges, the chickens were eager to be out and about.
 I let the mam and her three young chicks into one of the rabbit runs, so they could have some fresh June air, but found they were not easy to photograph ...
<<< this is the best I could get of the four of them but an interesting quartet they make. One is a classic Easter yellow chick, but the other two have quite distinctive markings and they are all showing distinctive characteristics even at this early stage. The two darker ones are definitely more adventurous and eager to explore their surroundings. Though all three tend to cling together, the yellow chick is the weakest of the trio.
The rest were left to free range all day but as I cleaned out their quarters Popcorn, the big rooster and endearing little Earings followed me about. Earings, the one who has sussed out how to get into the food bins kept looking for any opportunity to get extra food, for a bantam she at times seems greedier than the rest of them. Having cleaned up I left them to it and Ffin and I headed towards the open moors top enjoy the temporary sunshine.
We headed home for an afternoon of rest and later in the evening went back to put the flock safely away for the night. Rewarded by half a dozen bantam eggs on our return, I eventually got them all safely in for the night and the dog and I took in the evening smells and sights. At last an evening of wonderful picturesque skies.
Admittedly the temperature was hardly what was expected of a June evening but after the last days of rain it was a delight to be able to amble rain free!
Guess what tomorrows forecast is for .... yep more sodden rain! But at least the farmers hay fields are growing apace and ... weather permitting, there will be a good harvest.




But as the mist on the mountain gathers, it seems there is more rain ahead.Is this really June? All we can do is wait and see. What will be ... will be. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment