About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Tuesday 12 February 2013

CALL DUCKS on SHROVE TUESDAY

On my last post. I wrote that I would tell you about the Anglo Saxon Village I visited on Sunday. It wasn't a long visit due to Dafad being tired and the weather a tad cold but what I saw and learned was so fascinating I got a booklet to read up about it more before I wrote a post about it. But due to other things happening around here I've not yet read up enough in the booklet to give you decent info, to go with the photo's so will give it a miss for now. That'll teach Daft Dafad not to plan ahead and make promises I can't keep. 
Now, for a while now I've been telling you about the Mad Mutt enjoying visiting the ducks on the village pond, but usually it is only a short, last thing at night walk and there has been no chance to photo them, so today I decided to go out in the daylight, to share the thirteen white aptly named Call Ducks. Bred originally to be decoys in duck hunting.
Luckily they are now just ornamental and are fed twice daily by willing volunteers in the village. Last time I was here there were only six, so it is nice to see the number increased.
When we were on the village green, they were all hunting for worms in the grass ... but as we approached they saw us and headed into and across the pond to greet us.
The sound is more quite muted with a long first note "Mwaaack ... mwack, mwack,mwack."
and I've learned to give them my version back, so an untranslatable conversation takes place. The daft dog no longer looks at me weird, but pricks up his ears and waits.
Normally they come close to the edge to look at this friendly four legged creature with his front paws in the water and they come in very close to us but today he dropped a ball in the water as it splashed they retreated to a safer distance. The dog looked rather sad that they'd scarpered. We continued on our way down to visit a friend who lives down ...









Being half term, she'd been busy making pancakes for some six children, only three of her own. The dog made instant friends and was kept amused by the kids as we had a warming mug of coffee and a chat about the local characters that give colour to village life.

No comments:

Post a Comment