About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Saturday 17 November 2012

BEECHES & BIRDS

Today, Dafad here has been mostly stuck indoors once again with a case of the pneumonics (sounds more like a musical problem to me) it has been tiring to say the least. But ... there have been small improvements, with a cough like a rather sick ewe and the snuffles normally associated with hedgehogs ... I have almost been hibernating. Luckily I've been feeling better today. This morning a kindly farmer friend took my car battery away for recharging. The old Rover refused to start on the day I needed an emergency appointment, so I had to bus it to the docs and taxi back via the pharmacy for much needed medication  before returning indoors to hibernate rather like the proverbial hedgehog! Meanwhile despite going through (my third) box of tissues and have lost count of the loo rolls used, Dafad was feeling somewhat better today. Not great but getting there slowly. Today saw me trying to do household chores, which I managed bit by bit but in between I was searching amongst old files held on C.D  file for "blogworthy" photographs and found some that are worth sharing.
<<< I found this, a lovely sunset view of a hawthorn tree in an area known locally as Grannies, normally heavily berried at this time of year. Now ... not in this hawthorn tree but close by, a local bird observer has put out several bird feeders, he has yet to give me a comprehensive list but the number of bird species that visit here is quite amazing. Everything from, finches to tits and quite a few of the hawk and other predatory birds have become regular visits to this "human fed" site. I've not been up there over the last week but I look forward to hearing what the latest  visitors have been. I've loved sitting quietly watching the trees that have been full of numerous, eager to feed birds.
Meanwhile I am going back to 2007 and dramatic foliage on beech trees ... now this particular  favourite beech has appeared on my blog several times but never like this.
In all her autumnal glory, five years ago she shone our in a blaze of colour. But there were other beech trees later on in the same year , in November,  bare of leaves but wow!
Just look at that leaf barren beauty of the autumnal, leaf stripped, skeletal, beech trees.
Isn't that just beautiful in it's simplicity ... yet intricacy.
Let us just hope, that with all the dire news of organisms that effect Japanese Larch, Dutch Elm tree disease. our ancient oaks have been suffering too and now more recently Ash Die Back disease. let us hope that our most elderly and more mature Beech trees don't suffer too.  I love them dearly. This year has seen a severe lack of winter berrying fruit, not just for our own human larders but for the many bird and insect species too.
Just think about it for a while ...  you and I are lucky in the fact that ... we can make intelligently formed choices. But ... in this sophisticated, interdependent eco system
 are we going to be victims of natures way of winning soon. 
Now there is  pause for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment