About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Saturday 7 April 2012

UNUSUAL COLOURATION

Today was a quiet sort of a day, when the clouds that promised rain hung low overhead and everything seemed hushed, even the skylark song seemed muted as we went for a short trog. Watched wherever we went by sheep curious to see if we were a threat.
Luckily the dog is trained to take little notice of sheep and just glides quietly by my side so they do not panic and tun away. I don't want lots of photo's of retreating rear ends!! The beech trees look so bare, but there are tiny buds waiting to burst forth with that lovely fresh green of early summer foliage and with our native welsh bluebells to add extra colour.
Driving back home over the commons, a treat in store was to see this unusually coloured ewe, one of my favourites and I named her (very unoriginally) Tearface. I first saw her as a fresh born lamb back in 2009 born to a white mam ...



and have watched her become a mother for the last three years, this time with just a single lamb. I have also at shearing time kept her fleeces in the hope that one day I can get the wool spun to do something with. I just love the natural colouration that will come from her unusual colouration. What's in her genes? Maybe some Black Welsh Mountain throw back just like the badger faces.
though this is also a throw back not a pure badger face as for showing.
Yes ... I admit I'm a softy for more unusual sheep!

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos it all looks so peaceful but I imagine there is heaps going on with lambing etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia and welcome! Yes, the peaceful scenes I catch on camera don't give a clue as to the farmers hard work, up at five & ... watching lambing throughout the night. If you read Tarset Shepherds blog you'll realise just how much hard work goes into lambing time. Wherever you are, best wishes for Easter.

      Delete