About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Sunday 9 June 2013

A BIRD IN THE HAND...

Today has been a mixed day of  attempting to get things sorted out here as well as going through Dad's address book to get in touch with those who could not attend his funeral.
I had been checking my camera out (guess who forgot to pack the charger) when I went upstairs to get something, only to find a young black blackbird trapped in my bedroom...
I managed to catch it and took it downstairs but before I released it I took a photograph.
There is an old saying ... "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" this means that it is "better to have a lesser but certain advantage than one that may have a greater one that may come to nothing." Well for me it simply meant that this young blackbird could fly free
and that it most certainly did, straight out of my hand and was within minutes happily gorging on one of the many bird feeders I have hung in the garden here. Good luck to it.
It has been wonderful to see so many different birds flocking to the feeders here and to know that those well fed will survive and bring up healthy chicks for the future.
Dad loved watching the variety of birds in the garden here, though I have to be honest in that the fat pidgeons here abouts were envisioned de feathered and pastry encrusted.
It's been an odd day ... ringing folk I've never met, to tell them the sad news but ... it has also been heart-warming to hear stories about my Dad that I never knew and to talk to folk that Dad knew well but I had, until today rarely talked to since childhood. I wish all those who could not attend the funeral ... a feeling of peace and love for a great man. xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment