About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Monday 25 March 2013

WEEKEND, WHITE OUT!

<<< This was the scene that met me on Saturday morning as I slowly got myself over to the Post Office. It seemed like a Christmas tree, three months out of season and with only a week to go before Easter. But we have been lucky over the last few days compared to so many other areas of U.K. 1000's of folk without electricity, the weight of snow causing damage to homes, roads totally blocked and airports closed. The countrywide  scenes on television and in the newspapers have been quite awesome and my heart goes out to all those that have really struggled and to the very many emergency services and technicians that have tried their best to ensure that folk are safe.
We have been O.K in this part of Wales, though no doubt the farmers have had a rough time with lambing.

But ... there are those further north who have already lost valuable stock under drifts of snow over 20 foot deep.
Last March was so very different to this, it was so much milder than this. My heart goes out to all those who deal with livestock in these bittter, winter, wind biting conditions. 
And of course there are our wild birds too...
After a lousy spring when blossoms got knocked of the trees with heavy rainfall, there were hardly any berries and fruits to keep them going through autumn and this winter.
I recently heard the sparrow chicks chittering in the eaves outside my bedroom window.
The jackdaws have been nattering vociferously in the trees by the quarry behind me.
I have yet to see lots of lambs bouncing about, as I've not managed to get out much and
being post stroke ... I am banned from driving until the Doc gives me the all clear to do so.
Luckily we have a Post Office in the village and a very substantially stocked local shop.
I've just heard on our local news that though we may not get much more snow, the very low temperatures will mean that there is little chance of melting for Easter time.
It has partially melted here on this south facing mountain side where we get sunshine.
But out at the back of the house where my bonsai trees are sheltered, it's a long slow melt.
Methinks we may see a lot of Snow Bunnies & Snow Eggs built around Easter time!

No comments:

Post a Comment