About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Monday 9 September 2013

MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS.

I've just been looking through the photographs taken yesterday and ... as not much exciting happened here today, I thought it worth sharing some more antiques with you all.
I suppose that this gives a whole new meaning to the title "Antiques Road Show"!
Take this wonderful old 1921 Burrell Showans Engine, aptly named "Pride of the Fens".
And built even earlier than the Burrell by ten years, a Stanhope 5.5 horsepower vehicle.
Which is larger than the smallest BMW motor that I have ever seen! 
I guess that puts the old much laughed at Reliant Robin into a whole new light. Take the mickey out of this little old, red but roadworthy beastie Jeremy Clarkson!
The above caught my eye because years ago I lived in Linton as a child and never saw this very elegant liveried old delivery truck. Sadly I couldn't find the owner to enquire about it.
Another one grabbed my attention too, because Pauls Animal Feed supliers still exist and one can still spot them on to-days roads and motorways wearing the same colour livery.
Just before we were due to leave, a Farmall Cub was being loaded ready to return home to Saffron Walden, a place I know from my youth. The owner it turned out was a thatcher almost due to retire but working with his daughter. A very skilled job indeed and there are very few expert thatchers around now. He has been in the trade for 42 years  but is looking forward to his retirement and no doubt will be enjoying renovating old machines.
Earlier in the day, an old Kendall tractor was driving round the show ring, it is owned by the guy that did up Matilda, for her 50th birtday, the Landrover that I first travelled in as a two week old baby. Sadly she was stolen a few years ago and after being used in a burglary, was burnt out. More on that another day, but she was a very sad loss to us.
However, those sad memories laid aside the Steam Rally was a joy to go to.
It was a grand day, enjoyed by us all and the children of the family I went with had a good time especially seeing their Grandad drive round the ring on his lovely restored tractor.
 I managed to capture Dad and the kids all with beaming happy faces, a wonderful day.
and just as we were leaving, this number plate caught my eye ... why?
Because many years ago I was on the staff of 642 Gliding School. 
All in all, so many memories of happy, youthful days.
Old Dafad is getting sentimental in old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment