About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Tuesday 13 August 2013

APPLE PICKING TIME

For some days now, one apple tree has been dropping its fruit and I have had a couple of "Newtonian moments" when a ripe apple has literally fallen on my head ... ouch! But the tree that has so willingly bounced its ripe apples on my bonce, my father called the cider apple tree. Now ... I think it may be a James Greaves, but I am not sure despite googling.

Now, I have never made cider though in years past I have brewed my own apple wine and a certain demi john many years ago that having left to mature ... tasted like proper German Apple Schnapps! Tasty suff!
Now, old Dafad here, whilst sorting out this old place has been hoping to find an apple press and today ... yes ... dusty and disused I found one! Wether I have the time to use it, I don't yet know, but it is very tempting to try in memory of my Dad who brewed gallons of home brew & even for some time, years ago, had his own illegal distillery ... Shhh! (that was years ago now).
Well ... sorting out an attic space today, guess what I found ... yes ... an old apple press. I clearly remember when I was just a mere kid, my Dad pressing apples from the orchard in our old house, what a slow process that was  but as they say "Patience is a virtue " and the wines that my Dad & Gran made are still memorable. We were very self sufficient in those days, Gran & Dad had been through the war and knew just how to economise, something gratefully passed on to me. Luckily thanks to them, I know how to preserve, pickle, jam & thanks to the invention of the freezer, can more easily preserve autumnal harvests.

Elsewhere in the garden the apple orchard is ripening beautifully. Last year, the inclement weather saw a very poor crop of the varied apple varieties here. Hopefully this year will see a bumper crop, but ... just what to do with it all in the short time I have left to deal with it all? This lovely old farm is due up for sale and
 I (despite being the only legitimate  family heir) have been left three quarters of the estate which has led to legal complications but ... whatever the eventual outcome I intend to do the very best to honour the memory of my folks! I guess it is "harvest time" whichever way that goes, only the future will tell.
Meanwhile I have one helluva lot left to sort out and in memory of my folks I will do my very best. Today would have been their 56th Wedding Anniversary, so a sad day in many ways. There are times when I just have to chill out and take a break from filling the very large skip currently parked (solidly) in the driveway, but bit by tiny bit I am getting there.
Many times I have to just sit and rest, even if it is only on an old piece of dilapidated, woodworm weakened old chair. With some T.L.C and a good coat of something weather preservative ... these wooden items >>> could ... find a new lease of life as warm, friendly garden furniture!



<<< Meanwhile the daft dog was laid out in the lap of luxury, stretched out in the back of the Volvo Estate resting his arthritic joints (Bless him). He has struggled with this heat and especially with the crepitus in both his fore-joints. He walks sometimes like a very elderly dog! But fair play to him he tries his very best. He just gets tired out,
like me, so I am off to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment