About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Wednesday 28 August 2013

A VIEW FROM THE ROOF.

And I bet you are wondering what the title of this post is all about ... be patient out there.
As you know from my last post, the real sheep went home on Bank Holiday Monday, leaving my dear black sheep gift all lonesome!
<<< Such a small amount of grass left to munch! When my good friend gave me this present, little did they realise that the very next morning real sheep would be here clearing a much larger area! She thought I was joking but on a visit today was amazed at the change.
Anyway, over the weekend there was a Flower Festival in the village church. The theme was Favourite Biblical Stories  and some of the entries were brilliant and innovative. Sadly the light in the church was not exactly conducive to blog worthy photographs, but ... I got a chance to go up on the roof.
My guide was a local guy and full of information (too complicated to go into here) but what a fascinating guided tour I had. To climb those steep, hand crafted concentric stairs, (all be it slowly) was just a wonderful adventure. The hand chiselled  marks in the stonework and even hundreds of years of graffiti was an absolute delight to read.
Looking down on the church from what used to be the Minstrels Gallery was wonderful.
Below me, modern day folk were discussing the floral displays and the art work exhibited in this ancient old building. There were teas & coffees and delicious home baked cakes for  sale and I can testify that the local ladies produced some absolutely mouth watering cakes. I had sat outside with a friend just enjoying tea & cake in the glorious Bank Holiday sunshine. Inside, old friends caught up with the latest in village news, Meanwhile ... I had more stairs to climb to see the bells which are in tune and still rung on occasions.

Now ... there is a small booklet that details the history of this wonderful little church and maybe another day I will be able to write a more comprehensive post regarding its history but for the time being, bear with me,  I just wanted to stand at the top of the church tower and see the panoramic view, I was not at all disappointed. All the way up the tight spiral staircase, there was graffiti scratched by those long gone but who made their mark in both skill and initials. Just touching the clearly hand chiselled stonework was a delight to the touch and to the eye. I was shown the bells but more on that another day, onwards & upwards to the roof and WOW...  what a view!
It was just wonderful to see the panorama of countryside, harvest gold in the late afternoon sunshine and to smell that wonderful  warm scent of recently baled straw. 

 Also, rescued from the original roofing before more modern lead was put into place ...
these old and rather intriguing  lead panels ... 

An old fen clog print, a traced hand with splayed fingers and a simple stylistic windmill
which is dated 1863.
The church has a long and fascinating history which in time I will get to learn more about.
Inside the church some of the relatives of the famous Oliver Cromwell are buried here.
For now, things are incredibly busy and taking up my time sorting out, so folks, I will do a post as and when I can but just for now, wherever you are, I wish you good spaces and for me at least this past weekend, my good space was on the top of an old church tower!

No comments:

Post a Comment