About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Thursday 8 August 2013

A FIELD GOOD DAY.

I will explain more about the above badge later, I am wearing it as I write, intrigued?
Well yesterday I had kind of reached a point where all the sorting out of the house, filling a skip with much unwanted junk etc and trying to sort out the good stuff, had got to me.
So ... I decided I needed a break and pottering around this here old garden is good therapy
but it has been in a much untended mess. Two of the lawns were mowed yesterday but the poor old vegetable garden was higher than me in weeds. Some has been done but not enough. It was hot, hard work but rewarding to clear at least some of the seeding weeds.
A shadow of my former self ... here comes the grinning reaper!

 It seemed at times to be snail slow work. Whilst I sweated in the heat, a small golden snail ... was sun bathing!
Some noise over the garden wall got me intrigued so I had a peek and to my surprise ...
I sure could have done with one of these!
Preferably the red one, which was designed by Kendal of Grantham, Lincolnshire in the 30's for use on allotments or folk with just a few acres of land. Only a very few survive, I think the guy said only six are still in working order, but they were ideal at the time.
Too big for the veg garden here. A friend suggested that I borrow a couple of local sheep now that idea ... really does appeal to me! Days here seem to be crazy but sometimes fun.
And today has been one of those days ...
I met a lovely neighbourly lady who asked me to join in a Treasure Hunt for the kids.
Basically a trail of clues leading around part of the village, with prizes for the best team.
So this afternoon I popped down to the Rec just have a look see what was going on ...
and ended up being team leader for four bright young lads. "The Ffin Team" and off we went on a boiling hot, sunny afternoon with a whole list of clues. It was fun and best of all I learned more about the village, The lads were brilliantly well behaved, great to be with and we had a good time.
Question 28 was "What is the missing letter on the sign on Pond Green?" I already knew this because I had spotted this sign a week ago and it amused me greatly, so I took a photo of the lads stood beside it. See if you can spot the council sign departments error? I've never seen an "ehicle" on the greens!
One of the clues related to this house, it was "What kind of chocolate can you see in the driveway?" Well the eejit who lives here didn't get that at all & I walk past it every day.
It was a ... wait for it ... Wagon Wheel. Kindov obvious really!
I picked up the mad mutt and he loves kids, so off we went to get the last clues, hand in our trail sheet with 46 questions answered and  have cold drinks & kid style sticky sweets.
But it was all great fun, we didn't win but came very close. Ffin got to play football with the kids, as always he is as good as gold with the youngsters &  has a whole new fan club! We all got an "I'm Having a Field Day" badge & a sort of snap on wrist band which I am wearing as I digit this. The young ones also got small kites to play with, there wasn't any wind today, but they raced round the Rec with them and got them afloat a few feet above their heads. Happy folk!
 We returned home tired out and after getting fed, just sat in the late warmth of the garden, cooling down and watching this evenings' changing skies (which were amazing tonight) until the sun finally set on what has been a interesting day in so many small ...
... but very lovely ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment