About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Friday 2 December 2011

A BIT OF A GROUSE ABOUT ...

 Well ... what a difference to yesterday. Overcast with naughty, direction turning breezes, that didn't seem to shift the low lying mist out of the valleys, where it clung like cobwebs.
Coming up the mountain road, I saw an unusually pale coloured buzzard amongst the sheep then he flew to an old post in the field and posed. Ah ha! A photo opportunity ...
But just as I had focused on a decent close up of him ... yep ... you guessed it, he flew away.
I drove on, up to the moorland, looking for grouse. Now, I'm not a birder, but ... recently I had my sightings of Black Grouse up on the commons, disputed. Apparently there are only Red Grouse up here and over a large area only 60 individuals are estimated to be here.
I just know that two years ago, I first saw Black Grouse up on our moors and have seen them since. Only the other day, a pair started up just two feet away from me and the flight colouration is very different. There are so many signs of grouse up amongst the heather. A recent incentive to cut swathes of it, in order to encourage population increase is  being undertaken by the Forgotten Landscapes project; trying to reclaim the land that has been devastated by so many years of mining which has ravaged the land bare in so many areas. So, what did I manage to see up there today? Seven of the distinctly Red variety!
And as the weather closed in from above, another valley below me was deeply mist laden.
What else can I say today? Not much really because it has rained for the rest of the day!
I 've been achy, soggy and full of sniffles as the sky has perpetually piddled. Tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment