About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Monday 7 May 2012

WET & DRY

  Bank Holiday Monday ... what can I say ... and by wet and dry I don't mean grades of sandpaper! Luckily we caught a pause in the pluvial today and walked under a low hanging mist, so low that little could be seen, even the sheep seemed like bedraggled ghosts as they splodged through the sludge. The mad mutt loved it ... bouncing around in the muddy pools and pouncing on things in the rushes. I sometimes wish I had the energy and freedom of a dog, no thermal underwear, no onion layers of warm and weatherproof clothing ... Bliss! A quick rub off with a towel when we return, a bone shaped biscuit and he's a totally contented collie. That is until later in the day when even the garden steps look like an unintended water feature and he feels  that exploring the garden is just too boring. That is when I get downcast looks and heavy sighs because I can't face donning water repellent clothes ... yet again. Wellies are a daily given at the moment, it's all the rest of the clobber that I have to wear. Oh to be a dog, with just one coat and a collar!
  Yesterday, I found a Meadow Pipit nest that had been blown across the moor. It was clearly this years as it had strands of green sphagnum moss and fibres of sheep's wool woven in with the grass. A beautiful little thing that fitted in the palm of my hand. It was sad to think of all the effort that had gone into its making only to be snatched away by the wind. I wondered if the Pipit has started weaving another nest in the hope of better weather, I hope so and that this time it will be a success.
  But as I write this it is raining heavily again, not that I'm complaining, we need the water to top up our reservoirs and rivers. A bit of warmth in the weather and then the spring can turn happily into summer and drier adventures with photo's to show you. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment