About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Thursday 13 December 2012

DESPITE A WINTERY FREEZE

Well this photo says it all for this morning and for most of yesterday, Bloomin'  cold!
And thinking of blooming a year ago today, this lovely fuscia was in bloom and looking lovely. Normally head heavy with flowers, this plant overgrowing an old stone wall in one of the two cottages about, half way up the mountain road; has not been so blossom full this year. A shame because it is usually a long lasting highlight of the year.
Also on this day last year, I found this frozen woolly mammoth ... taken home and washed it is still, a year on one of the dog's favourite toys. It has been left out in the rain, washed again and again throughout the last year but the mad mutt loves it. There are other favourites too, like the rubber "Mr Men" that were also a favourite of a Daschund that Dad had called Digby. Bless him despite needing aqua-therapy for his ailing back legs, he was a really determined character. Ffin actually unbeknown to me until I returned home had actually his own "stolen toys" in amongst the many that were his own. Sadly Digby died, but with dignity and here at least his memory lives on. Even now as I type Ffin is playing with one of the "Mr Men." He has discovered that he can push it under the small gap below the computer table and heaves heavy sighs as he waits for me to retrieve it.
Much as I try to ignore him, I then get pestered until I go down on hands and knees to rescue said toy ... and then ... as I try to type a post ... he does it all over again. Aaarrggh!
He and Digby in some-ways are very alike, because they both have known how to manipulate humans to play certain games to their rules. I'm being bossed by a dog!!
This time also last year, despite the frost (clearly seen on the old church roof) my friends hens were exploring the churchyard, seeing  it as a mere extension to their free ranging land. Ffin, fair play to him tends to ignore these feathered wanderers, and they have gradually become used to him when we chook and rabbit sit when they're away on holiday. I think he realises that the occasional bantam egg with his nosh is worth patience.
Meanwhile as winter really sets in with bitter cold weather sees us well into December ...
the ewes are still taking a last chance to mate with a ram and the cycle of life continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment