About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Sunday 30 December 2012

DARE I MENTION ...

I finished off yesterdays post by saying we might have sunshine today. It was almost too good to believe as once again throughout the night, the wind yowled and howled around the varying heights and angles of the different roof tops of this house, but once again the pan-tiles survived and we woke with rose gold suffusing the sky with false warmth. Yes, O.K, so it's the end of an English December, one expects it to be cold and it was, however looking on the more positive side all that recent flood water could have frozen making the roads lethal and ... even had there been strong enough ice on the Cam, I doubt very many people these days would own a pair of skates. Though in years long past, many of the locals would have owned a pair of "Fen Runners."as they are known around here, but that's for another day, if come the New Year we do indeed see ice skating on local rivers.
This was the sky this morning ... when I ventured out into the garden with the dogs.
bright, cold, but the best thing of all was the fact that the patio slabs had dried out, much to the delight of the low slung Dachshunds  and even to my much longer legged collie who loves all sorts of water ... just not on patio slabs so it seems (he can be oddly fussy).
In the garden, tiny primroses had survived the waterlogged state of the lawn and even the earliest tiny daffodils with leaves, the buds were pushing and showing promise of flowering if the weather allows. Just this morning I saw a single pink cyclamen flower.
The cherry tree is almost in full blossom, a floral contrast to the many bird feeders hanging from it's branches. Oh, and there are some extremely large wood pigeons around here, that have got fat from feeding off the local wheat. I am thinking of pastry as I write.
Anyway, whilst Dad went off hunter gathering ... in the local Tesco, I stayed here and with my three canine companions I ventured out into the garden to do some much needed weeding. They enjoyed sniffing in and out amongst the still soggy autumn leaves whilst I pulled dead stalks of last years fennel out ready for burning on some future bonfire.
Dad returned laden with goodies for the New Year celebrations only to tell me that he had seen Hot Cross Buns for sale in the supermarket. It's three months to go before Easter !!!
Meanwhile ... given the right conditions and some decent weather over those three months
the kiwi vines growing along the veg garden trellis, might ... produce some fruit.
It was dark by the time by the time I took the duck loving mutt for a short stroll around the village green to visit the ducks. He loves to stand quietly right at the edge and across they come with a muted ... "Quack, quack." to say hello to him. There were six when I left, there are now at least twelve and I really must get photo's of them in daylight one day and
then I will be able to share them on the blog with you. Me? I'm off to my bed for the night.
The weather forecast for tomorrow is for rain ... no skating then.

No comments:

Post a Comment