About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Friday 2 November 2012

ANVILS IN THE SKY

This morning started of with a word I've not yet used on this blog ... sleet. Not quite rain, not quite snow, but still wet and very cold. As I attended to my charges, the chickens and the rabbits, I was yet again a wee bit more than damp. Taking the dog for a short walk, the sky changed and we got soaked! Just as we got back into the car the sky changed yet again and the sky cleared to blue and sun bright dryness. I didn't have my camera with me this morning, but as I went up to put the chooks away safely for the night, I made sure I had it with me and a good thing too.
<<< This was the old church lit by security lights, a warm looking sight,
unlike the sky which was looking dark shaped and cold ... but with interesting shapes.
On the horizon, a rather odd anvil shaped cloud and beneath it in the foreground the lazily grazing sheep. As the dog nosed in amongst the drifts of fallen leaves, I was trying my best to get some of the best photographs, even though my fingers were getting numbingly cold, but these skies were too good to miss and yet I still had the chickens to get safely out away for the night, they would have to wait just a wee while longer, because, just for a change ... the weather was dry. This mornings wet weather clothing was still rather damp, to say the least, so I was warmly wrapped up in layers and a thick fleece, I rather envied the one coat copes with all weather sheep!
In the south, more storm threatening clouds were rather ominously gathering, it was time to get the chickens and rabbits safely fed and locked away for the rest of the night.
I noticed a buzzard perched on top of the old church tower ... looking for a possible opportunity. It was definitely time to see that my charges were shut in and secure!
But one last photo had to be taken before I saw to the smaller animals.
I just love the swirling, almost dancing clouds in this photo and if ... you look carefully ...
you can just about see a rather intriguing face.
I got my charges fed & left with fresh water for the night before I finally shut them away. then spent a few minutes taking a last look at the rapidly darkening, evening skyline.
These "anvil" shaped clouds were just fascinating. Apparently they are mostly composed of ice particles. Google them, they are a rather interestingly formed shape of cloud.
As for us, we were headed back down the mountain to get fed ourselves and warm again.
On the way down, I noticed other shapes that looked like flying birds but by then it was too dark to get decent photographs. A shame because the clouds tonight were fascinating. As I write, I can hear fireworks going off, a reminder that we are close to Bonfire Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment