About Me

My photo
An itinerant observer and thinker about life in general, sharing some moments of wandering and wonderment.

Wednesday 13 March 2013

CHANGING DAYS.

As the day comes to an end, what a day today has been in both personal and world ways.
Though for these ewes on the commons, I guess they've not heard that there is new Pope!
Over 2000 years of Christian history have seen a change yet again. There have been 266 Popes at the head of the Catholic church and this is the first to be named Francis after that gentle monk of Assisi who has a fascinating history (too detailed to go into here, but please do google him) but he is also known as the patron saint of animals and the environment.

Which is why I mention all this today, because if there is such a thing as answered prayers then I hope his gentle spirit is looking over the state of our environment and farming today
because after these last few years, our climate is in turmoil and our farmers are struggling.
Now old Dafad here, has been out of touch with my farming community due to the stroke, followed by some short lived bug that knocked the stuffing out of me. But us old sheep are a hardy type and I've survived. I even managed to get on a bus today and get some much needed shopping from our local supermarket. My left side still isn't quite right and I had to use a trolley for relatively few items, and for the first time ever, had to ask the kindly lady to give me a hand with the packing and then taxied back home, feeling quite knackered.
But ... no knackers yard for me yet, thanks to my strong genes I'm made of more hardy stuff than some of those lowland types. I thrive on the Welsh hills, mentally at least and the human vets have indeed, saved me, there is life in me and the mad mutt yet. Sooo ....
I am looking forward to my recovery thanks to a wonderful, post stroke back up team, who I am slowly getting to know. There are tests ahead and physio to go through but there are times in my life when I've been through far worse. Sadly at the moment I am missing lambing time, something that I was so very much looking forward to this year. 
There are stiles to climb over and gates yet to go through, but I am on the mend and intent on getting back on top of the mountain with the mad mutt to inhale the fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment